I made this soup because I love Olive Gardens Zuppa Toscana. This is Carol’s version.
1 lb ground Italian sausage
1½ tsp crushed red peppers
1 large diced white onion
4 Tbsp bacon pieces
2 tsp chopped garlic
10 cups chicken broth
1 can cannelloni beans, drained
1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
1/2 bunch of kale, rough chopped
1 cup heavy cream or 2% milk (if you like it lighter)
1. Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat and put aside.
2. In the same pot, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 5 mins. or until the onions are soft.
3. Add chicken broth to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
4. Add the sliced potatoes and kale, cook until soft.
5. Add the beans
6. Add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
Stir in the sausage, let all heat through and serve.
I hate sounding like a broken record, but dang !……That looks great and sounds easy to make….another yummer Momma
It’s a really good soup Tom. You have to try this one…easy breezy! Lots of things you can do with it too…carrots, rice…the list goes on. 🙂
I love this soup–but I would have to skip the beans…yuck…lol
My wife made this yesterday and I would have eaten all of it if I didn’t have to share. It was wonderful. Full of flavors and hearty tastes. I put it at the top of my soup list, even above my 15 bean soup with thick cut bacon!!! This is the best stuff I have eaten!! Thank you, thank you!!
Bob I am so happy to hear this. So glad you enjoyed…we did too!